Prime Minister Charlot Salwai will be launching Vanuatu 2030, the country’s new Sustainable Development Plan next Wednesday 18th at 4:30 (not to be confused with the launch of the draft version of this report, which happened back in November last year). The Department of Strategic Policy Planning and Aid Coordination has been working on the plan for several years and was greatly aided by consultations with the people of all islands. A validation summit was held in November and the document is the successor to the Priorities Action Agenda of 2006. The new document has a strong foundation in culture. Vanuatu 2030 aims to chart the country’s vision and will serve as an over-arching policy framework for a sustainable, stable and prosperous Vanuatu.
Government is considering re-opening Palekula fishing base at Santo. Studies undertaken are said to have proven the idea Read the rest of this entry »
Vanuatu misses out on Festival of Pacific Arts in Guam; World War II museum gets go ahead in LuganvillePosted: May 23, 2016
Politicians are blamed for the loss of the budget for Vanuatu to attend the 12th Pacific Arts Festival taking place in Guam. Cultural Centre (VKS) Director Lazaire Asal tells Jonas Cullwick in today’s Daily Post that the budget Read the rest of this entry »
An astonishing story just to hand: a Kiwi tourist managed to get through Port Vila airport security with a live World War 2 artillery shell in his luggage.
The military explosive was not detected by Airports Vanuatu Limited (AVL)’s security screening and metal detector when the tourist left Port Vila on an Air Vanuatu flight to Auckland on 13 October.
The ammunition was only discovered when the tourist declared the live round to NZ Customs on arrival in Auckland.
A story on news website stuff.co.nz says that there were 162 passengers on the Air Vanuatu flight, and that the tourist found the shell while diving.
“If it had gone off, well you only have to blow a little hole in a plane for there to be Read the rest of this entry »
US military teams have been in Santo for the past 45 days conducting a search and archaeological recovery of the remains of four American airmen lost when their aircraft went down during World War II in the mountains of Santo and on Mavea. Local villagers located the crash sites and have been assisting with the searches. Two teams deployed from Hawai’i to excavate several aircraft crash sites in search of Americans who remain unaccounted for from World War II. The Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command conducts global search, recovery, and laboratory operations to identify missing Americans from past conflicts in support the Department of Defense’s personnel accounting efforts and to honour their war dead. Photo credit on all images: DoD Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Adelita C. Mead. Read more here.
A US military team has been in Santo for the past 45 days conducting a search and archaeological recovery of the remains of four American airmen lost when their planes went down during World War II in the mountains of southern Santo and on Mavea island. Local villagers have been assisting with the search. The US Department of Defense’s policy is to recover the remains of all missing personnel and return them to their relatives. The US has more than 83,000 military personnel missing from past conflicts. More images to follow.
The President of the Democratic Alliance Liberation Party for Change, Daniel Molisa, says the removal of the Principal Electoral Officer Lawson Samuel is an abuse of the Constitution and Prime Ministerial powers. He told VBTC News he thinks it breaks article 57 of the Constitution concerning public service. Daniel Molisa said Lawson Samuel should take his case to court.
Matters relating to the Phocea scandal are scheduled to be heard in the Magistrate’s Court at 2pm today. More news as it happens.